There are four (4) ways in which government information is available under the GIPA Act:
Open Access Information
Wollondilly Shire Council is committed to providing the community with open and transparent access to information about our services, activities and business operations on its website, where possible.
Proactive Release Information
Council may choose to place additional information on its website – this is called ‘Additional Proactive Release of Information’. It is Council’s intent to make available on its website as much information as possible that would be of interest to the general public.
Informal Release of Information Requests
An application for information that is not readily available on Council’s website may be submitted using the Informal Access Application Form
Typically information requested informally may include:
- Development consents
- Planner reports
- Application forms
- Building certificates
- Objection letter(s) to development applications
- Development Applications, Building Applications or Construction Certificate Plans
These applications are free to view but photocopying fees may apply.
Some information that is considered ‘open access’ may be subject to copyright. Information that is subject to copyright may be viewed however copies may not be provided. Council must also take into account whether the privacy of any other party is affected by a particular request.
Formal Release of Information Requests
If the information you are seeking is not available in any of the ways outlined above, you will probably need to apply for a Formal Access Application Form.
Examples of the types of information requested formally may include:
- Information that relates to a third party who must be consulted
- Information that relates to a third party business that must be consulted
- Information that is sensitive in nature and requires careful balancing of public interest considerations
- Information previously refused access through the informal process
- Large volumes of information that involve extensive search
Formal Access Fees
Application processing fees apply for Formal applications.
How to apply
- Download the relevant GIPA form (Informal or Formal)
- Complete the form and lodge with Council via post or in person (Note: the Informal form offers an online submit feature)
- Post: PO Box 21, Picton 2571 with a cheque for the application fee (Formal) or
- In person: 62-64 Menangle Street, Picton. Payment may be made by cheque, cash or credit card.
Note: If your application is seeking personal information, proof of identity is required at the time of applying.
Review of a Decision
If you are refused access to information requested Formally, you are entitled to a review. Please use council’s Internal Review Application Form